© 2007 by the University of Washington Press
First paperback edition © 2014 by the University of Washington Press
Printed in the United States of America
Designed by Pamela Canell
18 17 16 15 14 5 4 3 2 1
All rights reserved. No part of this publication may be reproduced or
transmitted in any form or by any means, electronic or mechanical,
including photocopy, recording, or any information storage or retrieval
system, without permission in writing from the publisher.
University of Washington Press
P.O. Box 50096, Seattle, WA 98145 U.S.A.
All photographs by Thomas Heberer unless noted otherwise.
Library of Congress Cataloging-in-Publication Data
Doing business in rural China: Liangshan’s new ethnic
entrepreneurs / Thomas Heberer.
p. cm. — (Studies on ethnic groups in China)
Includes bibliographical references and index.
ISBN: 978-0-295-99373-7 (pbk : alk. paper)
1. Businessmen—China—Liangshan Xian (Sichuan Sheng)
2. Entrepreneurship—China—Liangshan Xian (Sichuan Sheng)
3. Ethnic groups—China—Liangshan Xian (Sichuan Sheng)
4. Liangshan Xian (Sichuan Sheng, China)—Economic conditions.
5. Liangshan Xian (Sichuan Sheng, China)—Ethnic relations.
6. Liangshan Xian (Sichuan Sheng, China)—Social conditions. I. Title.
HC428.L37H43 2007 330.951'38—dc22 2007016249
The paper used in this publication is acid-free and 90 percent recycled from
at least 50 percent post-consumer waste. It meets the minimum requirements
of American National Standard for Information Sciences—Permanence of
Paper for Printed Library Materials, ANSI Z39.48–1984.∞